How To Remove Paint From Vinyl Siding
It’s important to prevent stains on the siding when painting your roofing and other exterior components. These spots can be hard to remove, especially on vinyl material.
Fortunately, there are ways you can restore the beauty of your vinyl siding.
Vinyl is made from a polyvinyl chloride resin, which makes it durable and a good alternative to aluminum and cement. This material is around 80 percent PVC resin and the rest of 20 percent are chemicals that give vinyl its color and weather resistance.
Despite being an easy to clean material, certain kinds of paint can stick to vinyl. Many know vinyl as a material that quickly and effectively absorbs acrylic or urethane-based paints. You might have difficulties removing these kinds of paint when it gets accidentally spilled on your vinyl siding while painting components of your roofing system.
Best Way To Remove Paint From Vinyl Siding
Keep in mind that power washing is best left to professionals, especially if you don’t have the right level of experience.
Water-Based Paint – Mix laundry detergent with warm water. Pour on the affected area and scrub off with a brush. Rinse using a power washer using the rinse nozzle. Repeat the procedure if the paint remains on the siding. Remove left-over paint with isopropyl alcohol and rinse.
Oil-Based Paint – Put rubbing alcohol on a cloth and wipe the stained area. Apply liquid wax with steel wool and scrub the area until the paint is gone. Clean the area with a mixture of detergent and warm water. You can also use mineral spirit instead of liquid wax and repeat the procedure.
Dried Paint – Take a scraper to remove the outer surface of the dried paint. Scrub the area with acetone paint remove or mineral spiring until the paint comes off. Clean with detergent and warm water solution.
Persistent Paint – Purchase a graffiti remover that does not create discoloration on vinyl. Apply on the affected area and scrub using a cloth. Rinse with mild soap and water.
For your home exterior needs, choose John Peters Roofing. We specialize in roofing, siding and gutters. Our roofers and installers are certified by top manufacturers, allowing us to provide you with the best services possible, backed with comprehensive warranties. Call us at (317) 981-6300 or complete our online form to request a free estimate. We work with clients in Indianapolis and the surrounding areas.